The following safety requirements apply to any fire lit in a brazier, fireplace or flame-proof enclosure that people gather around in celebration during a special event.
Ensure the presence of supervisory personnel near any fire lit in a brazier, fireplace or flame-proof enclosure at all times during the event.
- The fire must be located at a safe distance from any building (at least 15 m).
- Only firewood and eco logs may be burned in the fire.
- Any accumulation of combustible material may not exceed 0.5 m in height, width or length.
- No flammable liquid may be used to light the fire.
- Any fire must be located in a fireplace, an enclave of brick or concrete made of fire-resistant material. All elements must be installed on a level, stationarysurface.
- At the end of the activity, the ashes must be disposed of safely and the site must be inspected to ensure there are no glowing embers remaining.
- Keep an approved class 2A portable fire extinguisher near the fire.
- If the weather conditions deteriorate or if the winds pick up during the event, the fire must be extinguished.
Combustible liquid (ethanol, bioethanol and ethyl alcohol)
- Any device must be certified in compliance with a Canadian standard and must be used in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines.
- The fireplace must be leak-proof and installed on a solid, stable base.
- Never fill a burner when it is operating or still hot. Always let it cool down for at least 15 minutes before filling it for subsequent use.
- When filling the fireplace burner, smoking is prohibited and all open flames must be kept at a distance.
- Only the type of ethanol recommended by the manufacturer may be used. Gasoline and ethanol fuel are prohibited.
- In the event of an ethanol spill, remove all ignition sources such as a cigarette or matches.
- Always wait until the fire has been extinguished and there is no fuel remaining before moving the fireplace.
- Ensure the device is clean based on the manufacturer's guidelines.
- Keep an approved class 3A-10BC portable fire extinguisher near the devices.