The following safety requirements apply to any outdoor religious ceremony involving the public and using a flame.
- Any candles must be protected by guards or lanterns.
- Have staff dedicated to monitoring the event.
- Dispose of the candles safely after use.
- The use of oil-powered devices is prohibited.
- No flame may come into contact with combustible materials.
- Open flames are prohibited inside a building at the beginning and end of a procession when their quantity and location pose a fire hazard.
- Keep the candle straight and handle with care.
- Ensure that an adequate water source is available.
- Lit candles should not be transported in any type of vehicle.