The following safety requirements apply to any fire designed for a gathering of people in celebration of a temporary special event (bonfire).
- The fire must be located at least 75 m from any building and at least 200 m from any industrial establishment considered to be very high risk.
- Establish a security perimeter around the fire and install a fence of at least 5 m around the perimeter. The fence must be adapted to the weather conditions. In extreme weather, the event must be cancelled and the fire extinguished.
- Only firewood and eco logs may be used to fuel the fire.
- Any accumulation of combustible materials must not exceed 3 m in height, width or length.
- No flammable liquid may be used to light a fire.
- Surveillance staff must remain near the fire at all times during the event.
- Have a charged hose on site with a source of water that would be sufficient for extinguishing a fire outbreak. At the end of the activity, the fire must be fully extinguished and the ashes must be disposed of safely.
- Keep at least one approved class 2A portable fire extinguisher near the fire.
- Ensure the presence of at least two people in charge of fire risk management and public safety.