The Musée des pompiers de Montréal is intended to teach the public about the history of the Service de sécurité incendie de Montréal (SIM). It houses a miniature model of an alarm central station, hand pumps, a Merry Weather steam pump dating from 1887, an extensive photo archive, as well as various objects recalling the period during which horses were used to haul fire safety equipment. A wall of honour features helmets worn by firefighters lost in the line of duty. Visitors also learn about the history and developmnent of Montréal's auxiliary firefighters.
5100 Rue Saint-Laurent, Montréal
Station 30 (corner Rue Laurier)
The museum is open Sundays from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Group visits may be organized during the week.
For more information
Montréal's auxiliary firefighters: Overview
Montréal's auxiliary firefighters have been supporting firefighters on fire scenes since 1944 by distributing blankets, hot beverages, refreshments and dry clothes.
Equipped with rehabilitation units and ambulances, auxiliary firefighters deliver first aid to injured firefighters or treat them for smoke inhalation, and they transport them to hospital when more extensive treatment is required. Auxiliary firefighters also run the Musée des pompiers de Montréal.