In Montréal, as in other places, there are three primary causes of fires:
- smokers' materials and open flames such as candles
- cooking food
- heating systems and electric appliances
No one is safe from an accident or a defective electric appliance or heating system. Simple gestures, however, can improve our fire safety.
Smokers' materials and open flames
- Tell children that they should let an adult know immediately if they find matches or a lighter.
- Don't smoke in bed and don't leave cigarettes burning unattended.
- Place glass lamps around candles to keep flame isolated from combustible materials.
- Blow out candles before leaving a room and when you go to bed.
In the kitchen
- Keep a close watch while cooking food.
- If food in a pot or pan catches fire, cover it with its lid and turn off the eye. Don't throw water, flour or anything else on it. Never move around with a pot that is on fire.
Electricity and heating systems
- Use an adapter with multiple jacks that has its own circuit breaker if you must use one circuit to power several appliances.
- Don't use extension cords permanently and replace damaged extension cords.
- Call a qualified electrician for repairs and installations.
- If your heating system uses fuel (ex. natural gas, oil or wood), it must be checked periodically by a certified professional.
Create an evacuation plan with your family including two emergency exits, all exits possible for each room and a gathering point outside. Hold fire drills to practice with all members of your family.