Becoming a member
Mandate, or the significance of being a member or becoming a candidate
The Conseil des Montréalaises (CM) was created in May 2004. Consisting of 15 volunteer women, its main duty is to advise city council and the executive committee on any matter that could have an impact on Montréal women’s living conditions, gender equality and the status of women. The CM aims to reflect the makeup of Montréal’s female citizens. Members of the CM are chosen based on the diversity of their personal and professional experience. They are nominated by city council, following the recommendations of the selection committee composed of female elected officials.
The Conseil des Montréalaises is made up of 15 members, including a president, a vice president and one member’s representative. The mandate is a three-year term, which can be renewed once. It has two permanent staff members, a coordinator and a secretary, who assist the CM in carrying out its objectives.
The recruitment campaign can be held all year long and is conducted according to the availability of the appointed positions. Its goal is to fill open positions in the Conseil des Montréalaises and to build up a database of applicants in anticipation of future needs.
How to become a candidate?
To become a member of the Conseil des Montréalaises, the applicant must:
- Demonstrate interest and possess experience in status of women and gender equality matters.
- Have knowledge of municipal issues.
- Have actively participated in one or more of the following areas of Montréal life: economic, cultural, scientific, labour union, social, educational or community-based activities.
- Be available in order to :
- attend at least 8 CM meetings per year
- reply to regular e-mail consultations
- take part in one work committee
- Reside in one of Montréal’s 19 boroughs.
During the calls for applicants, any women interested in becoming a member of the Conseil des Montréalaises must submit her resume drafted in French with a one-page cover letter explaining the reasons why she wishes to become a member.
There is a call for applicants about once a year.