Using gas or propane pumps

Using gas or propane pumps to remove water from your basement can present a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. The Service de sécurité incendie de Montréal wants to remind you of a few safety tips:

• Place pumps outside the house.
• Be sure that exhaust gas is not directed at the house and keep a distance from openings (windows and doors) of at least three metres.
• If you or a family member should begin to feel unwell (nausea, headache, dizziness), stop your pump and see a doctor immediately.


Danger of electric shock and electrocution

To avoid risks of electric shock and electrocution during floods, here are some recommendations:

· Before water gets into the basement

Switch off the power main in your home to avoid electrocution or a fire. Be sure your feet are dry and that you are not leaning against anything metal.

· If water is getting into the basement

Don't try to switch off the power main yourself. Contact Hydro-Québec immediately at 1-800-790-2424 to interrupt service via the meter or power line.

· Once water has receded

Before switching power back on or using electrical devices that have been flooded, consult an electrician.


For more information, visit Hydro-Québec web site.