Eco-friendly lawn mower
Financial Assistance Program for the Purchase of an Eco-Friendly Lawn Mower
Since May 2018, the Borough of Saint-Laurent has been offering its residents financial assistance of 50% of the purchase price, up to a maximum of $75, for the purchase of an eco-friendly lawn mower. Offered in partnership with VertCité, the organization that manages the Éco-quartier Saint-Laurent, this program is designed to encourage residents to replace their fuel-powered lawn mower with a manual or electric one (corded or battery-powered) in order to help reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
With a budget of $9,000 over a 3-year period, this program is designed to help owners and tenants of residential buildings to maintain their lawn in a more environmentally- friendly way. It will be offered until December 2020. Only one rebate will be paid out per residential building.
Advantages of an eco-friendly lawn mower
- It emits no pollutants during use, unlike fuel-powered mowers, which produce high levels of GHGs and volatile organic compounds that contribute to smog formation. Smog can induce various respiratory problems, such as irritation of the respiratory tract, difficulty breathing and pain when deep breathing.
- A manual lawn mower is inexpensive and quieter. It also produces a cleaner cut, which keeps the lawn healthier. And it requires a little extra physical effort, which helps people keep fit!
- The newer battery-operated lawn mower models recharge quickly, are as powerful as a fuel-powered lawn mower and are quieter.
- Whether manual or electric, an eco-friendly lawn mower requires much less maintenance than a fuel-operated one.
To qualify for this program
This financial assistance program provides a rebate of 50% of the after-tax purchase price of a manual or electric lawn mower (corded or battery- operated), up to a maximum of $75. The lawn mower may be a new one or second-hand, therefore encouraging reuse.
To obtain this financial assistance, the following conditions must be met:
- Be the owner of a residential building located in Saint-Laurent or a tenant responsible for maintaining the grounds of a building located in Saint-Laurent.
- Apply for only one eco-friendly lawn mower per residential building.
- Have proof of an eco-friendly lawn mower purchase (bill) dating back no longer than January 2016*.
- Agree to use the lawn mower on the grounds of the building for which the application was made.
* 2016: date of publication of the Plan local de réduction des émissions de gaz à effet de serre de Saint-Laurent (Saint-Laurent's local plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions).
Application for financial assistance
- Download the application form, fill it out and print it.
- Provide the supporting documents indicated below, along with the form.
- Go to the Éco-quartier Saint-Laurent during office hours and submit the form along with the supporting documents.
- A rebate cheque will be mailed within 30 days.
Supporting documents to be provided
- The original bill for a manual or electric lawn mower purchase dating back to 2016 or sooner. If the bill does not clearly identify the lawn mower model, a photograph of the machine's packaging will be required. In the case of a second-hand lawn mower, the seller's name and contact information (address and telephone number) must be provided.
- Proof of ownership or lease indicating that the tenant is responsible for maintenance of the building grounds
Information and registration
Éco-quartier Saint-Laurent, 685 boulevard Décarie, room 100, Saint-Laurent
Telephone no.: 514 744-8333 - email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Website: www.vertcite.ca/eco-quartier-saint-laurent/
Disposing of an old lawn mower
Old lawn mowers may be brought to the Saint-Laurent Écocentre, located at 3535 rue Sartelon.
Tips for a beautiful, environmentally-friendly lawn
A number of small efforts can improve the appearance of your lawn, while making it more environmentally-friendly:
- Aerate your lawn at least once a year, mechanically or manually, preferably at the end of the summer. Your lawn will be more beautiful and will require less maintenance and fertilizer.
- Apply a thin layer of compost to your lawn, preferably after aeration, to improve its appearance and health. To purchase compost, you may take advantage of the giveaway that takes place every spring at Saint-Laurent's municipal workshops. You may also buy a backyard composter at a reduced price at the Citizens' Office, 777 boulevard Marcel-Laurin, or at the Éco-quartier Saint-Laurent.
- It will take you less time to maintain your lawn if you don't cut your grass too short and if you leave the cut grass on the ground. Grass about 8 cm tall is more resistant to weeds and to periods of dry weather.
- Avoid short-term daily watering and, instead, opt for long-term watering based on your lawn's needs. This will make its roots deeper and make it more resistant to periods of dry weather. You may also purchase a rain barrel at the Éco-quartier Saint-Laurent and collect rainwater; this warm, chlorine-free water is ideal for watering.
- As soon as possible, re-seed areas where your lawn is weak or dead, in order to prevent weeds or unwanted insects from invading the lawn.
- Replace some or all of your lawn with ground cover—plant species that cover the ground like grass, but are more resistant to nuisances and require less maintenance, because they don't have to be mowed. Various mixed seeds are available, including particular varieties of clover, thyme, ajuga, lupine, etc. Many options are offered based on your needs and desires.
For additional advice, click here (in French only).