Montréal is at the watch level (green zone). Stay informed

Online services

Select a service from the menu at right for more details.

Select a service

All online services

Conversion to divided co-ownership

The city forbids the conversion of rental property into divided co-ownership, better known as condominium or simply condo. However, the borough of Verdun can issue an exemption for properties within its limits, if it receives an official request and the property meets at least one of the applicable criteria. A property held in undivided co-ownership, and whose units are occupied by the co-owners, does not have to obtain the approval of the borough to convert to divided co-ownership.

Application procedure

Before filing your request with the Régie du logement, a request for an exemption from the ban on the conversion of an immovable to divided co-ownership must be submitted to the Urban Advisory Committee by enclosing the following forms and documents:

  • A written request addressed to the director of the Direction de l'aménagement urbain et des services aux entreprises;
  • Duly completed form: Demande de dérogation à l’interdiction de convertir en copropriété divise (available on this Web page in French only);
  • Two copies of proof of ownership;
  • A copy of the location certificate;
  • Two copies of the existing leases or a Déclaration de logement logement(s) vacant(s) (available on this Web page in French only), as need be;
  • A list of each of the units (address, number of rooms, and surface area);
  • A description of any proposed interior or exterior work, if applicable;
  • A notice of intention to convert signed by each renter (available on this Web page);
  • Five paper copies of every document, except the proof of ownership and leases;
  • A PDF of all the documents concerning the request in digital format (pdf);
  • Two cheques payable to the city.

Please note that in order to be eligible, the building affected by the request for an exemption to the ban on converting to divided co-ownership must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. It has not been occupied by renters for at least three years. The period of time is calculated retroactively from the date of the submission of the request.
  2. At least half the renters want to become owners (with the submission of an offer to purchase which has been accepted by the occupants of at least 50 per cent of the dwellings). The occupants must have been renting for at least three years.
  3. It includes two dwellings maximum, including one which the owner has occupied for at least three years.

As well, any building including one or more dwellings adapted for persons with a disability or a building including one or more dwellings with more than three bedrooms is automatically ineligible for conversion into divided co-ownership.

The required documents must be sent to the following address:

Direction de l'aménagement urbain et des services aux entreprises
4555 Rue de Verdun, bureau 109
Verdun (Québec) H4G 1M4

A public notice must be published in the local newspaper for each request. Since a period of 30 days must elapse between the publication date of the notice and the borough council meeting, it takes about two months between the submission of your request and the delivery of the resolution.

The resolution will then be sent to you by mail. It will be valid for six months for you to continue the procedure with the Régie du logement.

Fees: please go to Fees (In French only).

For further information, please call 311 or go to the Direction de l'aménagement urbain et des services aux entreprises (DAUSE), located at 4555 Rue de Verdun, bureau 109.