On May 27th the Service de sécurité incendie de Montréal (SIM) will launch his prevention campain No butts in the flower pots! In 2016, it’s more than 9M$ damages that where caused by cigarette’s in a flower pot.
Never put out a cigarette in a flower container, pot or basket, or in black earth, mulch or any other similar materials. These materials are composed of peat, moss and combustible chips, and they also contain chemical fertilizers. All constitute potential sources of fire when they come into contact with a heat source. A period of up to four or five hours may elapse between the time that a cigarette is crushed and the appearance of the first flame.
When extinguishing a cigarette outdoors, we highly recommend that you use an ashtray suited to outdoor risks, such as wind. At home, use a tin with good depth filled with damp sand, and place the tin on a fire-resistant surface.
Some members of the prevention team of the SIM will visit public markets and parks during the week-end. Come and visit us!
Saturday may 27
- Jardin botanique 8: 30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Marché Atwater 8: 30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Marché Jean-Talon 8: 30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Marché Mainsonneuve 8: 30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Parc Ahuntsic 8: 30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Parc Gilford et Garnier 10:00 a.m. – 1 :00 p.m.
- Parc Rosemont 9 :00 a.m. – noon
Sunday may 28
- Marché Atwater 8:30 a.m. – noon
- Marché Jean-Talon 8:30 a.m. – noon
- Marché Mainsonneuve 8:30 a.m. – noon