You should check certain items in your home each day to ensure your safety and that of your loved ones.
- All emergency exits are completely and constantly free of any obstruction.
- All exit doors (emergency exits) are unlocked and easily accessible.
- All exit signs, lighting and emergency lighting of emergency exits are working properly.
Smoke alarm and fire alarm system
- The fire alarm system is working properly.
- Only the green light is illuminated on the fire alarm system panel.
- All handles to manually activate the fire alarm system (red levers on the walls in the hallway) are easily visible and accessible.
- The smoke alarm in my home is in place and working properly.
- All portable fire extinguishers are in place on their stands.
- All portable fire extinguishers are visible and accessible.
- Manometers on all portable fire extinguishers show proper pressure.
- Candles and other open flame devices are in non-combustible holders and at a distance from anything that could catch fire.
- When cooking, don't wear billowing clothing that could come in contact with the stove eye.
- When you cook, keep the lid of the pot or pan you are using nearby to put out small kitchen fires.