On the night of November 4th to November 5th, it's time to move your clock back to standard time. The SIM would like to remind you that a working smoke alarm is required in your home.
When you change your clocks, change the battery in your smoke alarm, or install one if you haven't already. This small gesture can save lives!
There are many causes of fires - not just negligence. So take the safety precaution of having a smoke alarm in your home, and make sure it always has a working battery!
The SIM is continuing to raise awareness among Montréal agglomeration residents, in part by encouraging them to inspect their smoke detectors. This Friday November 3th ans saturday November 4th, Students and prevention officers, will be inspecting smoke detectors in a number of boroughs and reconstituted cities of the Montréal agglomeration.
Every year, the SIM regrets the loss of many lives in fires because smoke detectors are missing or not working. Don’t leave your home unprotected. When you change your clocks, take a moment to check your smoke detector and replace or install the battery. It’s a simple job that can save lives.
How to check your smoke detector:
- Press the test button for a few seconds. An audible signal must be heard immediately. Otherwise, change the battery.
- Verify its capacity to detect smoke by exposing it to smoke produced by a candle that has been put out, placed at a reasonable distance.
Important notices :
- Replace the battery when the detector issues an intermittent audible signal. Use the type of battery that is recommended by the manufacturer. Never use a rechargeable battery.
- Replace it 10 years after the manufacturing date indicated on the housing.
- Owners must install, in each apartment, a smoke detector that operates per floor, as well as detectors in the corridors and staircases. The tenant is responsible for the maintenance of the smoke detector and its battery.
- Make sure that there are no obstructions in the possible trajectory of the smoke to the detector.
- Install a smoke detector on each floor, including the basement. Install one in the corridor, near the bedrooms.
See also :