Preparing and protecting yourselfFlooding
What to do in the event of a flood?
- Prepare an emergency kit for yourself and your family with all the basic items you would need over a 72-hour period.
- Bring all items that can be moved up from the basement.
- Stay informed of the situation.
- Follow emergency workers’ directions.
- Leave your home if water levels become too high or if the authorities ask you to do so.
- Bring your survival kit, warm clothing, rain gear and identification for all occupants of your home.
- Listen to the radio for the latest news.
- Avoid moving vehicles in flooded areas.
- Have electrical system and heating checked by specialists.
- Make sure that tap water is safe to drink.
- Wait at least 10 days before consuming well water.
- Clean any rooms contaminated by the flood.
- Throw away all food and medication that have come into contact with contaminated water.