Progressive reopening: latest developments. Stay informed

Follow us on: (in French)

Do you have a problem?

If you believe the By-law concerning the sanitation, maintenance and safety of dwelling units is being violated in your building, try to reach an informal agreement with the delinquent owner or tenant; this can be done verbally. If this is not sufficient, notify the person of the problem through registered mail and ask that the problem be fixed within a reasonable timeframe. Make sure you keep a copy of the letter along with the post office receipt; your borough office may require them.

Do you want to file a complaint?

If the problem remains unsolved despite efforts to reach an agreement, contact your borough office, which has the power to enforce the by-law and intervene to fix the problem. The city (and the borough) may:

  • enter a building or dwelling unit and inspect it
  • require an expert’s report
  • require corrective measures
  • impose fines
  • correct a situation of non-compliance
  • evacuate and close a dwelling unfit to be occupied

To find the phone number of the service point concerned with sanitation and maintenance of dwellings for your borough, visit the points of service page. This will not limit your right to resort to the Régie du logement if need be.

What are the penalties?

Any person who violates the by-law is liable to a fine of up to $2,000 for a first offence and $10,000 for a subsequent offence. Corporations are liable to a fine of up to $4,000 for a first offence up to $20,000 for a subsequent offence.