Commercial signs certificate
A mandatory certificate of authorization
A certificate of authorization is required to install or modify the structure of a commercial sign. The sign must be installed at the place of business or on the advertised building.
- A temporary sign not listed in Article 310 or in Article 311 of By-law CA29 0040;
- A sign in a form that reproduces or is reminiscent of a standardized road or highway sign or that is likely to be confused with such a road sign;
- A sign that, due to its shape, its colour or its illumination, may be confused with a traffic light or other device that controls or regulates vehicular traffic;
- A sign that projects at an angle or perpendicularly;
- A flashing sign, a sign with flashing lights or an animated sign. This paragraph does not apply to a sign showing the time, the temperature or other similar information if the surface area of this sign is less than 1.5 m2 and if the changes in colour and in the intensity of illumination do not occur more than once a minute, except for the numerals or the arrangement of lights showing the temperature;
- A mobile electronic billboard;
- A mobile sign, on wheels or sled, transportable in any way whatsoever, except in the case of a temporary sign;
- A sign painted directly onto a wall, a roof, an unglazed door or a projection of a building or structure, on a canopy, on paving, asphalt or other hard aggregate surface used to cover the ground, except for artistic murals, directional signage or an inscription identifying a farm and painted on a silo located on that farm;
- A sign containing an illustration, a photograph or a message that illustrates, announces or promotes the exploitation of nudity or sexuality;
- A sign painted on or fixed to a fibreboard panel;
- A sign in the form of a banner or streamer made of fabric or other non-rigid material, except in the case of a temporary sign listed in the table in Article 310 or Article 311 of By-law CA29 0040;
- A balloon or device suspended in the air or any sign on a balloon or other device suspended in the air or tethered to the ground, to a building or to a structure in any way whatsoever, except in the case of a temporary sign listed in the table in Article 310 or Article 311 of By-law CA29 0040;
- A sign with an outline in the shape of a common object, or a human or animal form, except for a temporary sign listed in the table in Article 310 or in Article 311 of By-law CA29 0040.
Fees apply to obtain a certificate of authorization for:
- Garlands, flags or banners;
- Sign without modifying the structure;
- Wall or canopy sign;
- Pole, stand or wall mounted sign.
For more information on applicable fees, please contact the Permits counter by calling 311.
How to apply?
It is suggested to use the services of a contractor in to order install a sign. The contractor will be in charge of obtaining the certificate, conceiving, producing and installing the sign. Otherwise, apply for a certificate of authorization at the Permits counter.
For more information, please contact the Permits counter by calling 311.