Organic Waste Collection
(green waste + food scraps)
The organic waste collection is carried out once a week on Wednesdays in the sectors where this collection has been implemented. Once started in a sector, it replaces the green waste collection.
May 2016 – sector west of 32e Avenue
May 2017 – sector east of 32e Avenue (excluding St-Pierre)
October 2017 – Saint-Pierre sector
*The collection has been implemented only for buildings with 8 housing units or less. For those with 9 units or more, the green waste collection is still carried out.
Time of day and location
Organic waste may be disposed of by the curb between 7 p.m. the day before and 7 a.m. on the day of the collection.
Brown bins used for this collection are provided by the City when the collection is first implemented. These bins remain City property and may not be used for other purposes. They belong to the address delivered and must remain on site at moving time.
Excess food waste may be disposed of next to the brown bin, in a paper bag, a cardboard box or garbage can.
No plastic bags, not even those that are certified biodegradable or compostable, are acceptable for this collection.
|Raw, cooked or rotted food
Soiled paper and cardboard
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meat and poultry with or without bones
- Fish and bones, seafood and shells
- Grain products, such as pasta, bread, cake, rice
- Eggs and shells
- Solid milk products (cheese, butter and yogurt)
- Tea, herb tea or coffee grounds, with their bags or paper filters
- Nuts and shells
- Cookies, sweets and desserts
- Pet food
- Spices and herbs
- Facial tissues, paper towels and table napkins
- Paper table coverings, cardboard dishes
- Food boxes (pizza, chicken, etc.)
- Cardboard food baskets (without the handle)
- Leaves, grass cuttings, wood chips
- Garden waste and vegetable garden waste, plants
- Conifer branches under 1 metre long and 5 cm in diameter
- Leafy tree waste
- Liquids (soup, milk, juice, coffee, etc.)
- Diapers and hygienic products
- Fabric, wood, cork, wax, hot ashes, cigarette butts
- Chewing gum
- Animal litter and excrement
- Paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, metal
- Construction and renovation debris
- Paint and hazardous household waste
- Polystyrene and plastic wrapping
- Earth, rocks and sand
- Crystal, porcelain, ceramics
- Non-vegetable oils and fat
- Batteries and biomedical waste
VdM – Food waste