Citizens special events
Hosting an event | Fête des voisins
Special events in the public space
Authorization is required to stage any event on public property in the borough. Public property includes streets, parks, public places, community gardens, paths, medians and other city-owned outdoor properties.
Public events include social, sporting, cultural or community events of a festive nature held on public property.
Only written and signed applications will be considered. Applications must be transmitted to the Direction de la culture, des sports, des loisirs et du développement social within 20 business days of the event. Reservations will not be accepted by telephone or verbally. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
How to submit an application?
Demonstration or march
Citizens must contact the local police station; see Service de police de la Ville de Montréal : postes de quartier (PDQ)
Fête des voisins 2019: A block party created by and for neighbours
Want to get to know your neighbours a little better? The Fête des voisins 2019, an initiative of the Réseau québécois des Villes et Villages en santé
(French only), is a golden opportunity to improve your living environment and socialize with people in your neighbourhood.
This year, the event takes place on Saturday, June 8.*
Find out more about the initiative and its objectives (French only)
I want to organize a block party; how do I go about doing it?
1. Given that your activity will take place on public space (a street or alley), you are required to obtain the necessary permits in order that your activity be carried out safely and in compliance with municipal bylaws.
- The first step is to contact the borough at firstname.lastname@example.org ideally no later than the first week of April, to express your interest in holding an event.
- A form will be sent to you, together with the rules for holding a block party.
- The borough requires that 70 per cent of residents affected by the temporary closure of a street be in favour. The event organizers must show this support by collecting signatures of neighbours.
- We suggest forming a small committee of neighbours to share the tasks involved in organizing an event
2. Important: You are required to submit your completed form**before Friday, April 19, 2019 in order to hold your event on Saturday, June 8.
3. Once your application has been accepted, you will receive confirmation from the borough, along with further instructions aimed at ensuring that your event is a success.
*If you wish to organize a block party, but June 8 is not the date you had in mind, please contact us at email@example.com
**Only complete applications will be considered.