In the vast majority of cases, a permit is required for building a deck. A permit is not required only if the deck meets the following three criteria:
- The floor is 60 cm (24 in) or less above ground level
- No part of the structure is more than 1.07 m (42 in) above the floor
- The deck is not located in the front yard (i.e. the portion of the lot on which it is located must not be facing a street) and is not visible from a public thoroughfare
If you intend to replace an outside door at the same time, however, you must obtain a permit. Please see the section on doors and windows.
Finally, if the floor of the planned deck is more than 1 m above ground level, there are other requirements. In such cases it is best to meet with a designer and a representative of the Perrmits and inspections division, before purchasing your materials.
As part of your permit request, bring the following documents to the Perrmits and inspections division service desk:
- The location certificate (2 copies)
- A draft of the project, drawn to scale (2 copies)
- A cost estimate
- The contractor’s contact information, if applicable
- Payment for the survey fees
- A mandate from the owner is required if the permit is applied for by proxy
Fees for residential buildings
$8.90 per each $1000 in construction costs (minimum fee of $130)