City ethics hotline
The city ethics hotline is a phone number and secure Web site where you can report any wrongful act in connection with the city’s business management. The city is obligated to act with integrity, objectivity and transparency and is duty-bound to preserve the trust of its employees and the public towards its administration. For this reason, the ethics hotline was created for you to report any wrongdoing related to city business management.
The ethics hotline is managed by the office of inspector general, which guarantees the confidentiality of the process and your anonymity, should you wish.
Who can use the ethics hotline?
- Elected officials
- Providers of services to the city
Under what circumstances?
If you witness or are made aware of wrongful acts such as:
- Falsification, alteration or unauthorized destruction of documents
- Manipulation of electronic or other data
- Inappropriate use of goods, equipment or files belonging to the city
- Exchange of bribes
- Theft, waste or vandalism of city property
- Potential, real or apparent conflict of interest
- Payment for goods or services that were not provided
- Non-compliance with policies and procedures in force
What information should be provided?
- Description of the wrongful act
- Name or description of persons involved
- Circumstantial evidence (date, time, place, etc.) and any form of proof
Please note that the ethics hotline is not for making complaints. There are already other mechanisms in place for complaints. For example, enforcement of the city's personal respect policy would apply to harassment complaints, and the ombudsman handles complaints from residents about the quality of services offered directly by municipal civil servants.
Will my report remain confidential?
- The firm that acts on behalf of the office of inspector general guarantees confidentiality of all information provided and user anonymity for the ethics line.
- Any employee who engages in acts of intimidation, harassment or reprisal towards users of the ethics hotline is liable to disciplinary sanctions by the city or underthe law. These sanctions range from fines to dismissal.
- The office of inspector general will review all reports in a confidential, objective and impartial manner, regardless of a person’s position, title, number of years of service or relationship with the city.
- All users of the ethics hotline are ensured the right of anonymity and confidentiality. Every effort is made to uphold these rights.
- The office of inspector general diligently reviews all information in user reports.
- The office of inspector general will not tolerate any form of reprisal towards whistleblowers in good faith and will recommend measures to the city to protect users who have identified themselves and who could be subject to acts of intimidation, harassment or other forms of reprisal.
What happens next?
- Any employee who engages in acts of intimidation, harassment or reprisal towards users of the ethics hotline is liable to disciplinary sanctions by the city or under the law. These sanctions range from fines to dismissal.
- A reference number and secure password will be assigned for each report received. They will allow you to check the progress of your report at any time.
- After each report, the information is compiled into a confidential event report.
- The office of inspector general will review the report in order to determine how to proceed and will update the status of the report directly on the Web application to keep the user informed.
- The office of inspector general reserves the right to refuse to follow up on a report after considering its relevance, the weight of the evidence and the credibility of the information reported.
- Following an enquiry, any wrongful act committed by an employee or vendor may lead to measures being taken by the administrative authority in question or under the applicable policy.
24/7 ethics hotline