Restricting access to information
A person can present a request, at no cost, to limit public access to the information contained in his or her criminal record.
Under what circumstances can a request be made?
- Acquittal except for verdict of not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder (2 months following expiry of delay of appeal or 3 months following expiry of appeal proceedings).
- Accusation rejected or withdrawn (1 year following the date of rejection or withdrawal).
- Suspended accusation or without disposition (1 year following the date of the stay of proceedings).
- Liberation following a preliminary inquiry or on defence of autrefois acquit or autrefois convict (1 year following the date of liberation).
- Absolute discharge (1 year following the date of the order of discharge).
- Conditional discharge (3 years following the date of the order of discharge).
- Absolute discharge following a verdict of not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder (1 year following the date of the decision).
- Liberation with-standing the conditions indicated by the court or the review board following a verdict of not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder (3 years following the date of the court order).
- Recognition to keep the peace, art. 810, C.cr. (1 year following the end of the recognition).
- To make a request, download the form or visit one of the two service counters at the main courthouse or one of the following points of service on the island of Montréal:
- Point of service – Northern Montreal : 1405, rue de l’Église , St-Laurent, (Québec) H4L 2H4
- Point of service - Southern Montreal : 7777, boulevard Newman, bureau 301, Lasalle (Québec) H8N 1X7
- Point of service - Eastern Montreal : Place Versailles, 7275, rue Sherbrooke Est, 2nd floor, suite 2202, Montréal (Québec) H1N 1E9
- Point of service - Western Montreal : 401, boulevard Saint-Jean, Pointe-Claire (Québec) H9R 3J2
- Chief place - Service counter : 303, rue Notre-Dame Est, Montréal (Québec) H2Y 3Y8
- The completed form can be submitted at one of the points of service, or mailed or faxed to:
775 rue Gosford, ground floor
Montréal, QC H2Y 3B9
- It is the responsability of the applicant to indicate on the form all the file numbers for which he or she wishes to limit public access. Customer service representatives at the municipal court will gladly assist the applicant with this process.
- Once the request has been reviewed, a response indicating the court’s decision and motives will be sent to the applicant.
Information: 514 872-2964