Verdun
 
    See also  
  > Verdun's Mayors since 1875  
  > Maison Saint-Gabriel Web Site  
  > The Mies van der Rohe buildings  
  > Nuns' Island Boisé  
  > Nuns' Island Golf Course  
 
 
    Our documents  
  ICONE PDF Verdun Elected Officials Since 1875 (in French)
[97 KB – 20 pages]
 
 
Home > In Your Neighbourhood > History and Heritage > History of Nun's Island
  Printable version Printable version
 
In your Neighbourhood
 
Monuments | Historical Circuit | History of Nuns' Island | Names of Borough Parks and Streets | Verdun's Mayors and Other Political Personalities | Photos | History of Verdun |
Prohibition in Verdun 

History and Heritage

History - History of Nuns' IslandNun's Island seen from the sky

On January 28, 1664, Saint-Paul's Island was divided into three equal parts and awarded to three rich and notable French subjects established in Ville-Marie (the former name for Montréal). They were Jacques Le Ber, Lord of Saint-Paul and Senneville, Claude Robutel de Saint-André, Lord of La Noue and Jean de la Vigne. The latter transferred his share to Marie Le Ber, sister of Jacques Le Ber, in 1668. That same year, Marie Le Ber sold her share to her brother, who thus became owner of two-thirds of the island. In 1676, the island included the fiefdoms of Saint-Paul and Lanoue.

Thirty years later, the Congrégation religieuse de Notre-Dame, founded by Marguerite Bourgeoys, acquired the Lanoue's fief. Following the British conquest, the other fief was put up for auction and purchased by the Congrégation, making the latter sole owner of the island for more than the next 250 years. In 1956, the island, which has ever since been known as Nuns' Island, was sold to the Québec Home and Mortgage Corporation Ltd. At the same time, Québec enacted an order amending Verdun’s city charter stipulating that Saint-Paul's Island (Nuns' Island) would henceforth be part of the city of Verdun. The nuns left the island for good in 1957.

The island was used for farming throughout the 1960s. It was only accessible by a shuttle boat run by boatman Pierre Lacoursière, among others. This service made it possible to cross between Verdun and the island until the Champlain Bridge was opened in 1962.

Nuns' Island has now become a select residential community. With a high-quality standard of urban living within a unique environment, Nuns' Island is just minutes from downtown Montréal.

To learn more about the history of Nuns' Island

GAUTHIER-LANDREVILLE, M.A., C.N.D., L'île-Saint-Paul Île-des-Sœurs près Montréal, Éditions de la Congrégation de Notre-Dame, Montréal, 1970, 367 pages

LACOURSIÈRE, JACQUES, L'Île-des-Soeurs: d'hier à aujourd'hui, Éditions de l'Homme, Montréal, 2005, 262 pages

Back Back to History and Heritage section
 
 
® All rights reserved, Ville de Montréal