Permits and certificates
Commercial Occupancy - Commercial Signs Certificate
Do you wish to erect, expand, rebuild, modify, relocate, attach, install,
complete or paint a sign within the borough of Verdun ? You must start by
obtaining a sign certificate.*
*A site development and architectural integration plan (PIIA)
is required before you apply for a sign certificate in the following cases:
- Non-standard sign.
- Sign not attached to building.
- Any sign on Rue Wellington or Rue de l'Église.
Documents and information required for PIIA approval
- The last name, the first name, the address and the name of any individual
or legal entity operating or using the establishment for which an application
is made as well as the last name, the first name and the address of any agent
- The last name, the first name and the address of the owner of the building
on which the sign is to be installed.
- The last name and the address of the contractor responsible for installing
- Breakdown of materials to be used, colours, type of lighting and method of
securing the sign.
- A scale plan in 10 copies on paper, illustrating:
- The size and area of the sign that is the subject of the PIIA request,
as well as the size and surface area of any other sign already installed on
- The height of the sign with respect to the sign's mean elevation above
- Registration appearing on each side of the sign.
- The dimensions and details of the façade on which the sign is to be
installed and the precise location of this sign and of any previously
- Photos taken from the front, showing the façade on which the sign is to be
installed, along with façades of neighbouring buildings.
- Photos taken up and down the street showing the various other signs
displayed and the general environment of the section of the street in which
the sign is to be installed.
- A photomontage or visual simulation showing the façade, the new sign and
any existing sign that is to be maintained.
Documents and information required for a sign certificate application
- Commercial certificate of occupancy complying with municipal regulations.
- The last and first names and address of the owner (or the latter's
representative) of the use or of the establishment covered by the application.
- The last and first name and address of the contractor who will perform the
- Details of any planned structure.
- The application shall also be accompanied by the following documents:
- Two copies of scale plans illustrating the general dimensions and area
of the display, its height above mean ground level, the design that will
appear on it (illustration and lettering) as well as the method by which the
sign is to be secured to the building or to the ground.
- In the case of a sign mounted on a post or on a small wall, a scale plan
showing the boundaries of any right of way of a public street, and any
property boundaries for the lot on which the sign is to be erected and the
location of the sign on the lot in relation to any other structure present on
- In the case of a sign on a building or on a structure, a scale plans
revealing the full width of the building's façade and the precise location of
- Identification of all materials, the lighting method and the method for
securing the sign to its support structure.
- The number of photographs, taken within the 30 days of the application
date, necessary to show:
- The exterior appearance of the building on which the sign is installed.
- Any portion of building wall that is visible from the outside.
- Any other sign present at the time of the application.
PIIA approval: no charge
Sign certificate depending on the size of the sign or of the billboard: see
Installation or modification of a billboard: see rates section