La Maison de l’environnement
Inaugurated on May 27, 2008 by Verdun Borough Mayor Claude Trudel, La Maison
de l’environnement has since been open to all residents wanting to inquire about
waste management and good environmental practices.
Through the Fonds Éco IGA, the Maison de l’environnement has
received a subsidy in the form of 250 Earth Machine backyard composters, and so
will be able to offer them to residents at only $13.50—a fraction of the
1. Home visits (in English or French) for follow-up and advice
on recycling, composting and vermicomposting (with worms):
Phone: 514 765-VERT (8378).
2. Awareness activities: booths and talks on-site, at companies
or community organizations (in French only)
- Zero-garbage lunch
- Climate changes
According to your needs
At your organization
3. Training workshops on vermicomposting and how to build a
vermicomposter (in French only)
Places are limited – To reserve, phone: 514 765-VERT
Both the training workshop and the materials for building a vermicomposter
are free of charge. Please note, however, that there will be charges of $35 to
buy the earthworms. At these workshops, participants will learn about all
aspects of vermicomposting (theory and practice).
- Definition of vermicompost
- Method of vermicomposting
- Which organic materials to use and which to avoid
- What to do to avoid vermin and odours
- The various models of vermicomposters
- The biology of vermicompost and earthworms
- Methods for harvesting earthworms
- Harvesting, sieving and using mature vermicompost
- Recipe for carbon litter and how to make such a litter box
Starting in April
The Maison de l’environnement is located at 673, 1re Avenue in
Verdun (basement of Borough Hall).
Please note: To reserve your place, you must pay the charges for
the worms at Maison de l’environnement.
The Maison de l’environnement is open:
Monday & Tuesday : 9 a.m. – noon
Wednesday : noon – 7
Thursday : noon - 5 p.m.
Friday : Closed
Other availabilities upon request.
Don't hesitate to contact us by phone, at 514 765-VERT
(8378), or by e-mail, at (email@example.com),
or drop by and see us.
Come get equipped to better manage your waste and therefore do a good
deed to preserve the environment!