Senator Louis-Joseph Forget built the Bois-de-la-Roche farm in 1880. His descendants ran the farm until 1991, at which time the former Communauté urbaine de Montréal purchased the land in order to protect this historic site and create an ecological park according to the vision of Forget’s family. The Bois-de-la-Roche agricultural park (191 hectares, the same size as Mount Royal Park) is a rustic preserve typical of turn-of-the-century farms in the West Island. There are farm buildings dating back to 1826, many of which were built by the Maxwell brothers, a pair of renowned architects. Sixty per cent of the land is still used for farming, while the rest is in its natural state. The park is located on the shores of the Lac des Deux-Montagnes. It is one of three city parks that will be developed over the next few years.