Permits and authorizations
This section lists the main permits and certificates required for certain domestic and commercial activities.
For further information, call 311 or go to the Direction de l'aménagement urbain et des services aux entreprises (DAUSE) at 4555 Rue de Verdun, bureau 109.
With or without a permit?
To find out whether or not work requires a permit, please call 311 to submit a request. Your request will be transmitted to the Direction de l'aménagement urbain et des services aux entreprises. You can also go in person to 4555 Rue de Verdun, bureau 109.
Examples of work not requiring a permit:
- Landscaping: trees, hedges or fences, including interlocking stone at ground level that is not used for vehicle parking. Attention: this exemption does not apply to the neighbourhood of Nun’s Island;
- Replacement of carpets or flooring;
- Replacement of cupboards or counters in a kitchen or washroom without touching the plumbing;
- Replacement of wall fittings or ceiling fixtures without touching the electricity;
- Minor repairs to outside wall siding (brick pointing, etc.), without replacing or removing the wall siding in part or in full.
Please note that a minimum of 30 days is required to process applications for permits or authorizations. This does not apply to applications submitted to the Division de l'urbanisme (ex. PIIA, PPCMOI, minor exemptions), which can take one to six months to process.