Maisonneuve Public Library
Upon entering the Maisonneuve Public Library, visitors are awestruck by the ceramic coats of arms set into the floor. The building served as the town hall of the former municipality of Maisonneuve from 1912 to 1918, when it was annexed to Montréal. In 1925, the Université de Montréal’s Institut de radium moved into the premises. Radium was used to treat certain forms of cancer and in training radiologists. Mary Travers, better known as La Bolduc, died here in 1941 at the age of 46. The institute closed its doors in 1967. The Maisonneuve Public Library opened on the site in 1981.