In honour of
Louis Comtois (1945-1990) is an internationally renowned and accomplished Canadian abstract painter. His work was exhibited in one-man and group shows between 1968 and 1990 in Canada, France and the United States.
Nature of the award
The Prix Louis-Comtois was created in 1991 by the Contemporary Art Galleries Association (AGAC) to recognize excellence in visual arts and arts and crafts. The award, which is overseen jointly by the AGAC and Ville de Montréal, supports and promotes the work of an artist who has distinguished himself or herself on Montréal’s contemporary arts scene in the past 15 years.
The award includes
- A $7,500 award for the winner
- A $2,500 budget to organize and promote a one-person exhibition (or other promotional activity) at an AGAC-member gallery or other exhibition venue in Montréal
- The acquisition by Ville de Montréal of one of the winner’s works, for the municipal collection.
To be eligible, professional artists midway in their career must:
- Have more than 10 years of professional artistic experience
- Currently work in the contemporary art field
- Have held one-person exhibitions or taken part in group exhibitions
- Live in or work out of a studio located in Ville de Montréal
The application file must be submitted by the artist or the gallery representing the artist. However, in these two cases, the artist must sign the application form.
Each application must include:
- The duly completed application form
- The artist’s resumé
- The artist’s press kit
- A maximum of 20 slides or 20 digital images of the artist’s work, accompanied by a list identifying the works representing the applicant’s life work
Method of evaluation
Applications will be evaluated by a panel of five judges who represent the visual arts field and have been selected for their expertise in various disciplines and major contemporary artistic trends.
Call for applications
The deadline to submit an application is September 28 2020 at midnight.