Janine Sutto Award
Nature of the award
An initiative of the Montréal Association for the Intellectually Handicapped (MAIH), the Janine Sutto Awards shines the spotlight on the contribution of art as an awareness-building and integration tool for intellectually challenged individuals.
The objective of these awards is to promote the talents of artists with an intellectual disability working on the sidelines, and to publicize creative efforts fostering the social participation of intellectually handicapped artists.
Ville de Montréal’s Accès culture network is proud to be associated with the Janine Sutto Awards since 2011, helping focus attention to the quality of the work done by MAIH.
The Accès culture network offers a $500 bursary to a winning individual and a $1,000 bursary to a winning organization. The presentation of these bursaries highlights the innovative character of the recipients’ efforts to integrate into Montréal’s arts and culture community.
Any person with an intellectual disability pursuing an artistic activity and any art project in which persons with an intellectual disability take part are eligible.
The following criteria apply to the work of an individual artist:
- It must be self-affirming and self-expressive.
- It must help increase the visibility of works created by persons with an intellectual disability.
- It must contribute to the development of Montréal’s arts community.
- It must have been completed in 2014–2015 .
The following criteria apply to art projects:
- The project uses art to help individuals with an intellectual disability.
- The project encourages and contributes to the integration of persons with an intellectual disability.
- The project makes citizens more receptive to art created by persons with an intellectual disability.
- The project contributes to the development of Montréal’s arts community.
- The project must have been undertaken between 2014 and 2015 .
To be eligible, the individual or organization must live or be headquartered on the Island of Montréal.
All applicants for the Janine Sutto Awards must submit a duly completed application file, containing the following documents:
- A resumé, in the case of individual artists
- Information on the project or artistic activity
- Any other documents that would be helpful in evaluating the work
Send six copies of the application file to Awareness-raising and Integration responsible.
Method of evaluation
The panel of judges will base their choice on the following evaluation criteria:
- Quality of the project or artistic activity
- Impact on the integration or self-affirmation of persons with an intellectual disability
- Effect on increasing the visibility of the community
- Originality of the project or artistic activity
Date of the award presentation
The awards will be presented on March 2, 2016 during the visual arts exhibition and event D’un œil différent at the Écomusée du fier monde.
(Documents in French)