Montréal Comic Arts Festival
The young Montréal Comic Arts Festival continues to grow and will add a second tent this year to welcome local and travelling exhibitors. This expansion reflects Montrealers’ enjoyment of comic strips.
“Comic strips are a medium that is becoming more well-known and appreciated by the public,” said Johanne Desrochers, the festival’s executive director. This can also be seen in Montréal’s libraries.
“We’re not surprised to see that most of the books that kids check out are comics. And for adults, they are 25 per cent of library loans!”
The festival is proud of its bilingual program of events that is open to everyone. It will feature round tables on comic book journalism, the creation process, and meetings with international authors.
“We want to reflect the Montréal reality,” said Desrochers.
Brunch and manga
Some activities are perfect for parents and kids, explained Desrochers.
“On Sunday morning, we thought it would be great if families came to the festival for breakfast.”
The “Manga Brunch” offers festival-goers breakfast and the chance to create a manga, while “Explaining Manga to My Parents” teaches grown-ups about this comic art form.
2018 : The Year of Manga
Did you know that May is comics month in Montréal? This year, manga will be showcased at workshops presented in Montréal’s libraries . The festival is the perfect way to end a month dedicated to this Japanese art.
Manga has always been central to the Montréal Comic Arts Festival.
“Manga events always fill up. People love it!” said Desrochers.
Several workshops will feature this art form throughout the weekend, from Pokémons and chibis to more traditional characters. You’ll learn everything there is to know about manga!
EXHIBITIONS you won’t want to miss before and during the festival
- Montréal in a Balloon, May 2- 30, hall of honour at city hall
- Comic Professions, May 16-27, Espace La Fontaine
- Blue Metropolis Exhibition, May 25-27, Espace La Fontaine
- Siris : Background and Achievements, May 2-27, Espace La Fontaine
- Comic Discoveries, May 25-27, Espace La Fontaine
- 3DComics, May 25-27, Centre Culturel Calixa-Lavallée
- The Thousand Planets of Valérian and Laureline, May 2-15, Espace La Fontaine
- The Birth of a Comic Strip, May 25-27, Espace La Fontaine